Jeremy's almost but not quite entirely moribund blog

Saturday, October 15, 2005

To stem a jalapeño

I made some tomatillo sauce today. This recipe is known to be a little spicy, but the sauce wound up being palate-scorching. Turns out when I read "2 jalapeños, stemmed", I took that to mean "cut off the stem" when in reality it also means "cut out the seeds and membranes while you're at it". Whoops. A few teaspoons of sugar calmed it down a bit, but that was still probably the spiciest burrito I've ever eaten.

5 Comments:

  • Thank you!! I thought the same thing!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:21 PM  

  • Thanks much -- almost the same mistake!

    By Blogger Paul Kern, at 6:15 PM  

  • LOL! I'm here because I was wondering what "stemmed" meant as well. Glad I read this. Funny post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • Thanks for posting this :).

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:17 PM  

  • Good thing I researched this because my recipe only says stemmed not stemmed and remove seeds!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home